I started this on a bare surface. Because of the rigid lines for the letters and latticework, I decided to mark off the grids and outline the letters. Everything after that was done freehand. Everything after this will be done freehand.
I was really excited to start this project, as were my contacts at the Garden Home, in particular, Angela, who is in charge of special projects. She gave me an idea of what she wanted and I presented her with sketches, designs, lettering, and colour options. The first day, I put in the dark green colour, which received some objections, as well as the fact that the size of letters was too big, but Angela wanted them big and eye-catching, so I delivered on that. To improve on the letters, I added an emerald green center and created an outline with green yellow to make the letters look more solid as well stand out more. Then, I created the latticework in white, which everyone really liked. (see Day 2). When I started putting in the shadow to make the latticework look solid, Everyone just liked it better! When I started to put in the vines crawling in and out of the latticework, my audience stayed till bedtime.
So far, I’ve been enjoying my days painting this, and am truly glad that it is bringing joy and gladness to the residents and staff as well. Today, I take a break as there is a powerful storm blowing over the island and everyone is staying home. I am hunkered down in front of the TV with my faithful Caliban on my lap, my laundry in the dry cycle, and hot chocolate ready to make.
Next step is finishing touches on the leaves, including shadowing, and a little more shadowing on the latticework.
Nature didn’t take shortcuts to decorate each and every leaf.